Thursday, December 10, 2009

Online School

I go to an online school and I have for the past three years. I think online schools are really misunderstood. Last week somebody I know insulted me saying that I don't live in the real world because I don't go to a real school. That is the craziest thing I've ever heard. I do go to a real school, and sure it's different from the typical public school, but that doesn't mean it isn't real or that I don't live in the real world. Ordinary schools are great, I've spend a large chunk of my life in them, but I wouldn't go back into one for all of the money in the world. It's like Kate Chopin's book the Awakening. There was this whole person locked up inside me that I couldn't show the world while I went to a public school. When you are surrounded by society and their thoughts, it is much harder to make all of there voices shut up and be able to hear your own. You can't even notice that this is happening to you until you step away from it for a while and find some of the voices fading away. These three years that I have been going to an online school have been the most fun filled, and self discovering years of my life and I am only beginning. People can say I don't live in the real world, and if the real world is one where you have beliefs stuffed into your head that you don't really believe in and are a roadblock for the rest of your life than they are right, I don't live in that world anymore. I still have friends, but they have to be ones that are supportive of me and the choices I need to make to be able to have the future I dream of. My world is a different one from that of most teenagers. I was able to find myself, the person I always wanted to be but was to scared to be before. What I want for myself keeps changing, but that's okay because every time I just grow more and more as a person. Going to an online school was my own personal awakening and I've enjoyed every minute. I still have a lot of work to do at my school which takes up a lot of time, but I'm a lot happier doing it. Anybody else who feels lost or like their school or environment isn't right for them, I highly recommend them looking at an online school like Connections Academy. Everybody deserves to find themselves. The only person you can be is you. If you are trying to be somebody else than you are just a second rate version of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment